We are actively seeking someone to fill the challenging but rewarding role of co-ordinator for A Bed for the NIght:-
Summary of the role:
This is a paid post to co-ordinate the Reading Churches temporary winter night shelter, run by FAITH Christian Group (FCG) and known as “A Bed for the Night” for 2019. It will involve liaising with each of the Church Venue Co-ordinators to ensure smooth daily hand-overs, record-keeping and reporting. The role will involve working in conjunction with St. Mungo’s and requires an ability to work with volunteers. The role necessitates flexible hours, including several evenings and early mornings per week.
Employment will commence as soon as possible, with a few hours per week preparatory work, increasing through November and December and similarly tapering down through April and possibly May 2019. During the B4N Night Shelter, hours will be limited to 25* per week through delegation to other staff and Church Venue Co-ordinators. We are also open to this being a shared post thus reducing the overall hours considerably. The co-ordinator will be expected to participate in staff meetings on Monday mornings to feedback to and pray with other FCG staff.
The role will include carrying out a range of duties as described below and others as they may arise, assigned at the discretion of the Director. Other staff will be involved in supervising mornings and evenings at church venues. Working with our guests can be demanding and requires the ability not to be easily offended by bad language and aggressive attitudes. Many will be active drug users and may have mental health issues.
The role requires the ability to drive and therefore the holding of a U.K. Driving Licence.
The following is a basic summary of key tasks:-
- Assisting with the planning of the 2019 Winter Watch night shelter.
- Working with and encouraging volunteers, under the direction of the Director and liaising with the General Manager.
- Ensure appropriate levels of training for all volunteers, especially ‘overnight’ volunteers.
- Networking with appropriate individuals, churches and organisations as necessary.
- Maintaining good working relationships with all involved.
- Day to day supervision of the Night Shelter.
- Receiving and passing on the daily guest lists from St Mungo’s.
- Planning staff rotas for mornings and evenings.
- Passing the staff response mobile phone to the appropriate member of staff.
- Ensuring safe practice at each venue.
- Monitoring and keeping records of incidents, updating Church Venue Co-ordinators, the Director and General Manager accordingly.
- Reporting matters of concern to the General Manager and Director.
- Ensuring that the First Aid kit is maintained and replenished.
- Ensuring that all beds and the Operations Box are taken from venue to venue.
- Writing a final report on the Shelter after it is finished.
The successful candidate will be expected to have undergone or be willing to undergo training in requisite skills such as First Aid, Drugs Awareness and Naloxone and Health and Safety.